Why Your Home Could Be Bad for Your Health
In this two-minute read, we explore issues in your home that could be making you feel unwell and how to cure them.
For most of us, our home is a haven. But what if it is making you ill?
Mould and damp
Mould and damp are caused by excess moisture in the home – perhaps due to leaking pipes, roof damage, or condensation build-up. They can cause respiratory issues, nausea and vomiting, and general illness, so it’s important to stay ahead of any fungal growths or damp patches.
Quick tips to prevent mould are:
- Air your bathroom when bathing to get rid of condensation
- Keep your home well ventilated to avoid excess moisture
- Where you notice mould, wipe it away with detergent or mould treatments (in more serious cases, call in the professionals to get rid of it)
- Hang your wet laundry outside or by an open window to prevent moisture build-up.
No matter how clean your house is, dust and dust mites can be found within most properties. They are a common allergen and can cause asthma symptoms. Ongoing exposure may result in allergic rhinitis (runny nose, watery eyes).
Reduce dust and mites by:
- Regularly vacuuming carpets and mopping floors
- Dusting with a damp cloth
- Change bedsheets weekly and wash in warm water
- Vacuum upholstered furniture, such as sofas.
It’s important to have a working carbon monoxide monitor in all properties, as this gas is a silent killer. Some causes include poorly installed and/or badly ventilated appliances, such as cookers and boilers, blocked flues or chimneys, paint fumes, and smoking indoors.
Early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include an ongoing headache, dizziness, sickness, and shortness of breath.
While a clean home is important, limit your use of cleaning products such as oven cleaners, bleach, and aerosols. All of these contain chemicals that can cause irritation to the eyes and throat resulting in headaches and breathing issues.
Lead paint was banned in the UK in 1992 but can still affect older properties. Once lead paint starts to crack or peel, its dust can cause serious problems, especially for children and pregnant women.
If you suspect your older property has got areas of lead paint, speak to a building professional about how to get rid of it.
The good news is what we’ve outlined above is very rare but if you’re concerned about any problems in your home, speak to us at James Kendall Estate Agents.